Batasuna leader said he is totally convinced this time next year we will be better than we are today if we all face up to our responsibilities.
Spokeperson of Batasuna Arnaldo Otegi said that ETA's statement was "sufficient" for resuming a peace process, after a car bomb last December destroyed a five-story parking garage at Madrid airport.
ETA claimed responsibility for the bombing Tuesday, but insisted the truce it called in March and described as permanent is still in force. It was the first deadly attack by ETA since May 2003.
In Donostia-San Sebastian on Wednesday, Otegi said that ETA's statement was a "constructive answer" by ETA after Batasuna called on the armed group to return to a nine-month ceasefire on Monday. This makes him be totally convinced this time next year "we will be better" than we are today if "we all face up to our responsibilities," he added.
Otegi also pointed out that the commitments ETA made declaring the permanent ceasefire must "give rise to" work in the reconstruction of the conditions that can start again the process because "there is no other choice."
Spanish Deputy PM sees no way for Batasuna to run for elections
According to Fernandez de la Vega, ETA's statement ratified the rupture of the truce. Furthermore, she assured the Antiterrorist Pact is a "small paper" containing "no valid" elements "because time has passed."
Spanish Deputy Prime Minister, Maria Teresa Fernandez de la Vega, assured today that Batasuna is "certainly" an illegal party, and, thus, she sees no way for the party to run for elections.
During an informative breakfast with journalists dealing with ETA's latest statement, De la Vega assured that it "ratified that ETA has broken the truce clearly" and that the armed band itself "admitted the Spanish Constitution and the law are the limits imposed by the Government."
Likewise, she referred to the Pact for Liberties and Against Terrorism and noted that there are "very valid" elements in the pact, but some others "are not, because time has passed," De la Vega said, and added that the agreement is a "small paper." "It's a series of issues that are there, that worked very well, but today is not like the year 2000 (when it was defined)," she affirmed.
Two arrested in Lapurdi
The detainees are Asier Larrinaga and Garikoitz Etxebarria Goikoetxea. Larrinaga is linked to an arms cache discovered in Amorebieta and to explosives found last week in the same area, the Ministry said in a statement.
Site where alleged ETA members where arrested in Azkaine
Two suspected members of the Basque armed group ETA were arrested Tuesday in the Basque province of Lapurdi (Labourd), in North basque Country under french rule. The detainees were identified as Asier Larrinaga and Garikoitz Etxebarria Goikoetxea. Police links Larrinaga to an arms cache discovered Dec. 23 in the Basque town of Amorebieta-Etxano and to explosives found last week in the same area, in the Valley of Atxondo, the Ministry said in a statement.
The arrests were made near the town of Azkaine (Ascain). "The arrests were made early this morning near Ascain and police seized at least one pistol," the Interior Ministry reported.